Monday, November 22, 2010

#38 Santana - Santana (August 1969)


Until I was about fourteen, I knew Santana only as that old guitar player who did a duet with Rob Thomas. And since "Smooth" plagued the airwaves in the summer of 1999, playing every six seconds, I grew to hate it. When I started listening to classic rock stations in high school, I began associating Santana more accurately with songs like "Evil Ways" and "Oye Como Va." I didn't particularly love those songs, so I'm still somewhat puzzled by what compelled me to buy this record. Perhaps it was a desire for my collection to have a little Latin flare. That must be it.

Or maybe it was the cover. At first, it appeared to be a fairly generic sketch of a lion with an out-of-control mane. But when I looked closer, I counted no less than nine faces and other body parts hidden among the feline's face, including a pair of breasts concealed by the bottom set of teeth.

As for the music, I admittedly appreciate it more under the suggestion of elevating agents. Drugs. But that shouldn't imply this is a record only enjoyed in such a state (despite the fact that its creation owes a good amount to the musicians' use of acid.) The guitar playing is passionate and the talent of all the players comes across in the jazz-inspired improvisation.

favorite song: "Shades of Time"

No comments:

Post a Comment