Tuesday, December 7, 2010

#39 The Beatles - Abbey Road (September 26, 1969)


I can probably say that every Beatles album became my favorite of theirs the first time I heard it. Abbey Road has the distinction of being the first to hold that title. And since it popped the discographical cherry of one of my favorite bands, this album provokes a nostalgic captivation every time I listen to it.

The songs on the first side all distinctly bare the signature of their respective author. Lennon continues to experiment with surreal lyrics on "Come Together" while, with "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", hinting at the grittiness that would later become central to his solo career. McCartney does what he does best, writing perfect pop standards like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "Oh! Darling". The mysteriously alluring love song "Something" is my favorite of George Harrison's and Ringo makes his greatest contribution ever with the just plain awesome "Octopus's Garden."

This segregation of musical styles shouldn't suggest a lack of cohesiveness. The collaborative second side has an infectious and kinetic musical narrative that instantly reminds me of the summer I first heard it.

favorite song: "Something"

1 comment:

  1. pfft... i think it popped more than your discographical cherry. wink wink.

    om nom nom. i've been on a beatles kick lately. <3.

    ReplyDelete