Wednesday, January 12, 2011

#40 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (October 22, 1969)

A quarter of the way. Yes, it took me nearly ten months and at this rate, I should be done somewhere around July 2013 but I can say I've enjoyed doing this and I have no plans of quitting. I can't say I won't slip into another four month hiatus, but this is a project I'm determined to finish one way or another, even if I do only have one reader (Hi Samantha). Anyway, Zeppelin, Part Deux:

I have trouble remembering which Zeppelin songs are on which records, due partly to the fact that they titled their first four albums only by the numerical order in which they were released. But also, they have a style that remained consistent throughout their early records. Any song on this album would have fit right in on Zeppelin I and vice versa. And that's a good thing. If it's not broke...

Plant sings with a carnal veracity on "Whole Lotta Love", which makes for an awesome opener to side one but is an odd contrast to the side closer, the sentimental "Thank You." "Heartbreaker" and "Living Loving Maid", Jimmy Page's strongest guitar moments on the album, are forever paired together on the radio while the Lord of The Rings-inspired "Ramble On" is proof that rock and roll can be both heavy and dorky at the same time.

The instrumental "Moby Dick" gives Robert Plant's pipes a break while prominently recognizing the immortal drum-work of John Bonham. And the blues of "Bring It On Home" concludes the second chapter of the heaviest band of the sixties.

favorite song: "What Is and What Should Never Be"

1 comment: