Thursday, April 1, 2010

#23 Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (September 1967)


Before I go any further, I must mention that while searching for the photo for the last album, I stumbled upon the Spanish version of myself. Our tastes are so similar, I'm scared there's a version of me in every country. But what better way to vent about your lack of individuality than on a blog!

This is my second color vinyl, this time it's white. It successfully provokes the unsettling wholesomeness of the word "milk" (think Clockwork Orange) but it also means that I have to wipe the Cheetos crumbs from my fingertips before handling the vinyl. My jeans work nicely.

I'll save most of my Beefheart sentiments for his masterpiece, Trout Mask Replica, but that shouldn't imply that this is a lightweight. The relative sanity is evidence that the Captain was at one time, concerned with being commercially successful (he tried again in the middle of his career but that time, failed miserably). It works on this album, mostly thanks to the young guitar virtuoso Ry Cooder.

"Where There's Woman" and "Dropout Boogie" are forgettable but the delightfully bizarre "Electricity" is a prime example of Captain Beefheart's gritty growl, like Howlin' Wolf on acid.

favorite song: "Yellow Brick Road"

No comments:

Post a Comment