Thursday, April 1, 2010

#24 Cream - Disraeli Gears (November 2, 1967)


The first record I ever bought. I found it in a stack of classical LP's in the corner of a bookstore that no longer exists. I bought it before I even had a player to play it on, almost as a promise to myself that I would one day get one. Unlike normal people, my parents owned no records from which I could inherit and form my own collection so, as dorky as it sounds, my first vinyl purchase was important to me.

As far as Clapton bands go, I prefer Derek and the Dominos, but Cream is a lot more than just Clapton. Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker helped the trio pave the way for hard rock and solidify its spot in the future of pop music. "Sunshine of Your Love" has one of the most famous guitar riffs, while "Strange Brew" and "Tales of Brave Ulysses" are just more evidence that drugs were the greatest thing to happen to music.

The cover is an explosion of the craziest shade of pink I've ever seen. Maybe the bright colors are what drew me to this record in the first place. I judged a book by its cover, not realizing it was just the first of many dollars I would waste on vinyl records.

favorite song: "Blue Condition"

No comments:

Post a Comment