Wednesday, April 21, 2010

#30 The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (December 6, 1968)


The first time I remember hearing "Sympathy For the Devil" was when my brother Mike drove me to high school in his '92 Buick. He had made a mix tape of Stones songs. So for Christmas, believing him to be a die hard fan of the band, I bought the compilation Forty Licks on CD for him. It sat unopened on his shelf for two months before I took it for myself. Today it still sits in a CD case on the floor of my Taurus.

Being an idiot at the time, I assumed forty was about the maximum number of good songs a band could have. I turned out to be very wrong, because in a perfect world every song on this album and their next three would have been on that compilation.

It wasn't until I took advantage of the abundance of Stones LPs floating around used record shops that I really started to appreciate them. I have eight of their albums, the most in my collection - tied with The Beatles. That's because they are two incredible bands, undeniably classic yet eternally relevant.

This track listing has no weak link. Every song is gritty, bluesy, and unapologetic; the beginning of a revolutionary and defining era for the Stones. I just wish I had the original cover.

favorite song: "Street Fighting Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment