Sunday, April 25, 2010

#34 Neil Young w/ Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (May 14, 1969)


Photographer Ryan McGinley named one of his gallery exhibits after this record and I can understand because this is one of my favorite album titles ever. I wish I could say the same about the cover, which looks like a Christmas card from a man who lives alone in the woods with his dog.

I've always loved Neil Young's style because he seems entirely independent; unchanging, despite the generations that come and go around him. He's also concerned only with the quality of his music, never bothering with his image or any other meaningless details. He's simply himself. And his music proves it - minimal but meticulously crafted. No wonder he became a golden god to the apathetic grunge generation.

Like every other album around this time, the guitar is king. "Cinnamon Girl", "Down By the River", and "Cowgirl in the Sand" all devote considerable amount of time to the contributions of Crazy Horse, which strengthen Young's unique songwriting and honest, elemental vocals.

favorite song: "The Losing End (When You're On)"

1 comment:

  1. This was the first album that I ever bought. I love your I idea of listening to your vinyl in chrono order. I still have all my old vinyl- I could start here!
    I had a "BYOV" (bring your old vinyl) party for my 50th! So many of my friends brought something to play, I think I'm the only one left with a working turn table!

    ReplyDelete