Tuesday, April 13, 2010

#26 Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills (August 12, 1968)


Back from the dead. It's been almost ten days since my last update. I was being paid to rewrite a script, and since this blog provides no monetary reward (just a buttload of self-satisfaction), I had to prioritize.

Though it's a crime that my collection has up to this point lacked any estrogen, it's somewhat fitting that the first female voice I hear belongs to Janis Joplin. She had one of the greatest voices of rock n' roll in the sixties, period. Not just for her gender. I still have Pearl coming up so I'll reserve the rest of my thoughts on Janis for that, since on that album she won't be sharing the stage with such dominant guitarwork.

This is another album with an insanely awesome cover. Back when LPs were the sole form of musical property, artists still gave a shit about what the product looked like. It helped that the covers were bigger and provided a larger canvas on which to visually capture and forever label the sounds heard within. It's hard to listen to an older album without associating it with that image. In the digital world, album artwork is as disposable as the quality of the music. But I'm sure I sound like a bitter grandpa, so I will cease my bitchin' now.

Up until the past few years, I had never been one for music that primarily emphasizes the guitar. Maybe it had something to do with my inability to play one, but I had found it boring. I'm not sure when that changed but I'm certain it had something to do with listening to records like this. Songs like "Summertime" and "Ball and Chain" have turned the guitar into an instrument I not only admire but sincerely enjoy.

favorite song: "Piece of My Heart"

No comments:

Post a Comment