Sunday, March 28, 2010

#10 Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (August 30, 1965)


Ten down. About 1/15th of the way through. It'll be a breeze. And on the plus side, I've reached one of my favorite albums.

Is it weird that the best memory I have of listening to this album is when I was home alone for a weekend with only a gram, this record, and a DVD copy of The Little Mermaid to keep me company? I guess that's what's great about Dylan, everyone loves him for their own reasons.

For me, this was the album where he most confidently defined himself. There is an equal dose of folk and blues and a lyrical coherency that lends itself to his strongest songs. I have a song-by-song admiration that makes me love this album. Besides "Ballad of a Thin Man" I've probably gone through a month-long phase with every song on here.

There's a really long poem on the back by Dylan. There was one on the back of Bringing It All Back Home too. They're not very good. It's a big messy stream-of-consciousness Kerouac pastiche. Luckily he became a songwriter and not a novelist.

favorite song: "It Take a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry"

No comments:

Post a Comment