Monday, March 29, 2010

#13 Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (May 16, 1966)


And so I come to my first double album. It seems like every other record on this list is either by The Beatles or Bob Dylan. That may mean that I need more variety in my collection, but it also means that this was an awesome era for music. Bob Dylan released Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and this all in just over a year. Maybe I won't cut back on all that genius stuff.

The cover of each Bob Dylan album is as enigmatic as his personality. Why he chose a random, out-of-focus picture of himself is beyond me. But the subtlety of that choice is a little more understandable when I look at the iconic shot on a large vinyl record sleeve.

I always forget just which songs are on this album. It's so long. I remember it for "Visions of Johanna" but I forget the humor of "Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35", the eloquent desperation of "I Want You", and the forgivable arrogance of "Just Like a Woman." The songwriting has become more personal since the last two albums while retaining the poetic energy that defines Dylan's best work.

I think on this listen, this became my new favorite Dylan album.

favorite song: "Visions of Johanna"

No comments:

Post a Comment