Sunday, March 28, 2010

#9 The Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads (July 30, 1965)


A charming album, chap. Indubitably. Listening to the British bands brings out that side of me.

Up to this point, keeping in mind only the records I've listened to so far, I'm liking the Stones more than The Beatles. The Stones are bluesier, grittier, and just more badass (badassier?) overall. I know that in the larger scope of things, I like The Beatles more so it'll be interesting to pinpoint the moment that becomes the case in this time line.

On the back of the sleeve, at the bottom it says "Zoom Bass: Phil Spector." Is that true?

According to Wikipedia, yes. It is.

I'm enjoying this record more this listen than any other. I think I'm realizing just how many cool things there are about it: the intentionally humorous uncertainty of "The Last Time", the guitar in "Satisfaction", and the fact that The Velvet Underground lifted the riff from "Hitch Hiker" for "There She Goes Again." Maybe it's the fact that part of me was craving an album with a sound that could be characterized as straightforward 'Rock n' Roll'. Either way, a bloody good romp, my old chum.

Cheers.

favorite song: "Satisfaction"

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Dingus,

    Brings out which side of ya? The cockney one?

    I'd had this site in an open tab (one of thousands) in my browser for about two months now; but I finally got around to reading it, and have left no Rolling Stone unturned. In all honesty, though, pretty kickass stuff. I'm reading a book about a surfer-P.I., ca. 1970, and have just got into Lester Bangs, which has certainly enhanced my capacity for rock-writing appreciation. (If you haven't read Bangs, you should; some of your opinions reminded me of his great post-60s analysis of the Beatles in "Dandelions in Still Air.")

    Anyway, keep buyin' up vinyl so you can keep spewin' out prose.

    Elliott
    http://blogs.kitschmag.com/movies/

    ReplyDelete