Saturday, March 27, 2010

#7 Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (March 22, 1965)


So dawns the age of Bob Dylan in this narrative history of my record collection. I'm not sure about you but I think Dylan has received sufficient praise and commemoration throughout the years, so I'll try to cut back on the whole genius thing and just listen to the music. Don't get me wrong though, I agree with it all.

For a while, "Subterranean Homesick Blues" was my favorite Dylan song, mostly because of the energy of the rhythm and the chaotic lyrics. Much of this album is like that; it's probably the most fun Dylan album. Some of it though, like "Maggie's Farm", is too much and gets on my nerves.

The electricity, both figuratively and literally, of every song is evidence that at the time, Dylan was doing what he wanted despite the watchful eye of a changing culture. And "Mr. Tambourine Man" was his poetic proclamation that he had no one to answer to.

favorite song: "Mr. Tambourine Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment