Thursday, March 25, 2010

#3 The Beatles - Meet The Beatles! (January 20, 1964)


"And please say to me, you'll let me hold your hand." Perverts. Sure they're all essentially just catchy pop songs, but they are the best fucking catchy pop songs I've ever heard.

I knew of The Beatles' iconic appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show before I even knew who Ed Sullivan was (he was Johnny Carson's sidekick, right?), and I picture it every time I hear this album. This music has the energy that reflects their impossible level of fame. My father's favorite song, and possibly the only song he's ever heard, is "God Bless America" and even he can name every Beatle (although he thought Ringo's last name was Stair).

This is only the first of eight Beatles' albums in the collection (they're tied for the most with the Stones) so there will be plenty more to say about them and their later albums. But, knowing the legendary history of the group, it's still cool to look back at their innocent origins. I wonder if the same lies ahead for the Jonas Brothers.

favorite song: "I Saw Her Standing There"

No comments:

Post a Comment