Saturday, March 27, 2010

#5 John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (February 1965)


Here it is. The only jazz record I own. Shameful, I know, but in the two years I've compiled this collection I've found used jazz vinyl that I wanna buy in short supply and new pressings go for about thirty dollars. Jazz is only one, along with classical, rap, and about thirty other genres that are sorely lacking in my library but in time I hope to rectify that. So shut up.

But if you're gonna own only one jazz record, A Love Supreme is not a bad choice. The way it sounds right now makes me never want to listen to this album in any form that doesn't involve a needle and 180 gram black vinyl. It's beautiful. Every instrument has life; the passionate playing delivers the most intense aural experience short of blowing your ears off. Especially the saxophone, which screams out with such masterfully controlled yet naked spirituality. The fact that this music is improvisational is, to me who lacks any musical talent, a seeming impossibility.

I waited a while after listening to the last record so that I could listen to this at night. Jazz just fits so much better as night music. I think there's just something quieting about it.

Coltrane's face on the record cover looks pretty damn intense and on the inner sleeve is a letter from Coltrane that repeatedly praises God. I don't care if it was God that made him do it, I'm just glad he made it.

favorite "song": "Pursuance"

No comments:

Post a Comment