Tuesday, March 30, 2010

#16 Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (October 10, 1966)


I purchased this a little over a week ago so this is only the second time (I resisted putting "thyme" as much as I could) I've listened to it.

Paul Simon's elegant songwriting almost drowns in the sea of Dylan and Beatles songs I've heard recently but his unafraid tendency to write music that is both pretty and soft is kind of refreshing. When I was thirteen and unwilling to listen to anything that didn't bear a Parental Advisory sticker, I'd never imagine I'd own an album like this.

I love the cultural commentary of "A Simple Desultory Philippic", with Paul Simon doing an amusing Dylan imitation. "The 59th Street Bridge Song" is perhaps the happiest thing I've ever heard. And "Homeward Bound" is full of regretful nostalgia, reminding you that when you leave a place, returning won't be the same.

favorite song: "Homeward Bound"

1 comment:

  1. mmmm. feelin' groovy, hands down favorite song.. ever!

    ReplyDelete